CARBONDALE—Osage County Sheriff’s department announced accidental carbon monoxide poisoning likely caused two deaths in Carbondale.
The deceased have been identified as Gregory K. Bayless, 54, Topeka, and Troy Adkins, 51, Topeka.
“Adkins and Bayless were using gas powered generators in the house while working,” said a press release issued by The Osage County Sheriff’s Office. “The residence was unoccupied, and there was no electricity on in the house.”
The bodies were located at 636 W. North in Carbondale. Officers responded to a call at that location of a possible deceased person at 2:50 p.m. July 29. Upon arrival, a second deceased person was located, and residence was secured and a search warrant for the residence was obtained.
“At this time it appears that Adkins and Bayless may have died from accidentally carbon monoxide poisoning,” the report said. “Final autopsy results are still pending, which can take up to eight weeks.”
The investigation is being conducted by the Osage County Sheriff’s Office, Carbondale Police Department, Kansas Highway Patrol and the Kansas Bureau of Investigation.